icon1770

Why does it say I can still E-File on the Turbo Tax Filing instruction page but it wont let me

Why does the first page that my Turbo Tax prints out with the instructions of how to file say I can still E-File but the program wont let me?

rjs

The IRS has shut down e-filing in order to prepare for the new tax season.

Are you working on a 2015 tax return or 2016?

TurboTax will no longer allow you to e-file a 2015 tax return. You have to print it and file by mail. I think the instructions still talk about e-filing because they just don't bother updating the software after the filing season.

It's too soon to e-file a 2016 tax return. The IRS will start processing 2016 tax returns on January 23. TurboTax will let you "e-file" starting in early January, but the return isn't really filed. TurboTax holds it until the IRS starts processing returns.

rjs

icon1770

Thank you!!! It never occurred to me that laziness by Turbo Tax may be the problem.  Cheers