Why do you advertise FREE Tax filing when it is quite expensive, how can you advertise FREE FREE FREE!!

The free is for the simple return.  You are in TurboTax Deluxe, this is not the free version.  The free version is completely free including the state. If you have a simple return with income only matching what is in bold below, then you can click Clear and Start Over and be taken to the free version.  If you select that you want to itemize your return or have other types of income it is not free. 

"Join the millions who file for $0

50 million hard-working taxpayers can file their simple federal and state taxes for free. You can file with TurboTax Free Edition if you only have the following situations:

• W-2 income
  • Limited interest and dividend income reported on a 1099-INT or 1099-DIV
  • Claim the standard deduction
  • Earned Income Tax Credit (EIC)
  • Child tax credits

Situations not covered in TurboTax Free Edition include:

• Itemized deductions (Schedule A)
  • Business or 1099-MISC income (Schedule C)
  • Stock sales (Schedule D)
  • Rental property income (Schedule E)
  • Credits, deductions and income reported on schedules 1-6, such as the Student Loan Interest Deduction
How does TurboTax make any money?

Customers with more complex tax situations will file with our other TurboTax products that provide all the right forms and guidance they need. We also offer additional benefits that go beyond filing your taxes, but they are completely optional and are not required to file your taxes for free. Many of our customers value additional features like:

• One-on-one help for answers, on demand with a TurboTax specialist
  • 24/7 Tax Return Access to view and print copies of all your completed TurboTax returns

With TurboTax Free, the power to file for free is all yours! https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/online/free-edition.jsp

I would just like to say that I will no longer file taxes through TurboTax. While doing my 2019 tax return, i was forced to sign up for not only the Deluxe version of TurboTax but the “Self-Employment “ version as well. I was abruptly taken to a page in which the only button i could click on was accept where it wanted me to upgrade services. I in no way wanted to upgrade. I was denied my right to file my taxes for free and am currently in the process of filing a major claim with TurboTax for not only the 2019 tax year but for 2018 as well. TurboTax took advantage of millions of tax filers!!!!