turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

melsilva55
Returning Member

Why do my returns keep getting rejected because of the PIN or AGI, when everything is correct?

I have tried to e-file my taxes two times and both times they got rejected. The notice I got was that the primary taxpayer's AGI or Self-select PIN from last year does not match IRS records. This can't be true. The AGI matches exactly and the PIN should as well. In 2018 I filed as single and this year I am filing as married filing jointly. I created a PIN for my husband. I don't know what's going on or how to fix this! Please help!!! 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
SusanY1
Employee Tax Expert

Why do my returns keep getting rejected because of the PIN or AGI, when everything is correct?

If your husband filed a return last year, you will also need to provide his AGI separately for him. If he did not file a return last year, you will need to indicate that his AGI was 0.   After you update his AGI, you can try to transmit the return again. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
melsilva55
Returning Member

Thank you so much! I’m trying to find where to input that on TurboTax and I can’t figure it out but thanks!! 

SusanY1
Employee Tax Expert

You should see this in Step 3 of the filing steps just after you indicate that you wish to e-File where it reads "Let's Get Ready to e-File your return".   It's part of the filing "signature" steps.   

melsilva55
Returning Member

Unfortunately it's still being rejected. My husband didn't file in 2018 because he didn't live here at the time. TurboTax says it will put 0 for his 2018 AGI. It doesn't give me the option to do it, it just says it will put it in. The PIN I use is the same as last year. This is the first time I am filing jointly with my husband so I created a new PIN for him. Could this be the issue?

JotikaT2
Employee Tax Expert

Probably not.

The PIN is number known only by you for security purposes.  It can change from year to year.

Please see the instructions in the following link for assistance on fixing the issue with your prior year AGI.  If you are still having issues, you may need to mail your tax return instead.

Filing rejection for AGI not matching IRS records

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies