Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

rafgarri

Why do I receive the messahe "Looks like we're still missing some info" in the federal wages&income section

It is regarding the dividends.
But turbotax imported the information from my brokerage account (Fidelity). So I don't understand what additional info is missing...
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

Why do I receive the messahe "Looks like we're still missing some info" in the federal wages&income section

I suggest deleting the imported info and enter it again manually.  If that doesn't work then ...

Contact TurboTax support on Monday and speak directly with a TurboTax support agent concerning this situation.

See this TurboTax support FAQ for a contact link and hours of operation -https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1899263-what-is-the-turbotax-phone-number

One possible thing....IF you have any $$ reported in box 8 of the 1099-INT, or box 11 of the 1099-DIV forms, then the information needed there must be provided by you separately by editing those forms after the import from Fidelity...that information is not a part of the Fidelity download.   (nor is it a part of the -INT or -DIV tax file imports from any other brokerage )

Those particular $$ in those boxes are for tax-exempt bond interest, and you must make a selection as either simply as "More than one state" for all of those tax-exempt distributions, OR you must break out the $$ portion that came from just your own state's issued bonds (or any of the US Territories..like Puerto Rico).   You make that selection by Editing either/both the 1099-INT or 1099-DIV forms by stepping thru them separately in the interview after importing them.  This is only needed if the 1099-INT has box 8 $$, or if the 1099-DIV has box 11 $$.

Unless the $$ amounts in those boxes are large, or unless you held a lot of state-specific bonds issued by state/municipal/county/city bonds located in your own state, then it's usually easiest to just select  "More than one state"  from the end of the pull-down list of states during the interview.

Though Fidelity does provide extra state breakout information on paper, you must calculate the exact amount for your own state's bonds  yourself, from the data and supplemental information in their paper tax forms that they send to you very year (or download separately as a PDF from their website). 

The Fidelity Mutual Fund state breakdowns are here for most purposes:
https://www.fidelity.com/bin-public/060_www_fidelity_com/documents/taxes/2018-tei-by-year.pdf

and some extra information for certain other state's special information, here:

https://www.fidelity.com/tax-information/fidelity-mutual-fund-tax-information

IF the $$ are in box 11 of the 1099-DIV form (i.e. Mutual Fund distributions), then the states of CA, MN, and IL have some pretty severe restrictions as to whether you can break out that state-specific information at all, and "More than one state" must be used many times instead.   $$ in box 8 of a 1099-INT are from individual bonds you may own, and those $$ can be broken out separately, no matter what state you live in..IF...big IF...IF you want to go thru the effort.

Side note:   For the 2018 1099-DIV forms, the IRS started using box 11 for tax-exempt interest for mutual fund distributions.  For 2012 to 2017 , those $$ were reported  in box 10 of the 1099-DIV.  For 2011 and earlier, all tax-exempt $$ were in box 8 of a 1099-INT, no matter the source.  

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies