turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Why do I keep getting an error everytime I try to download a Tax file?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

8 Replies

Adobe reads .pdf files, not .tax files.

How to download and save the pdf file

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3333012

Or why are you downloading the .tax2017 file?  You need the 2017 program installed to open it.  Or do you want to transfer it into 2018?

I did already download the 2017 online version of TurboTax. Then I tried to download the tax file.  Comes in as PDF only, says can't open as .tax file. Within the downloaded version of the TurboTax 2017 there is no option other than "open file" and says no file exists?

But it shows you downloaded the .tax2017 file.  You downloaded and installed the 2017 Desktop program?  When you go to File-Open if it doesn't find the file there is a button to browse to where you saved it.

And After you get the program installed the first thing to do before you open your tax return is to update the program and install any state programs you had. Then open your file. So you first might need to start a fake return to be able to download the state program (go to File-New Tax Return).

I need to call them. I’m very computer literate and this just is not working no matter how many different things I try

Well what happens when you start the 2017 program?  And then go to File-Open?  You can't point it to the .tax2017 file?  You did get the program installed ok, right?  And updated first?

It's not coming in as a pdf file.  It ends in .tax2017.  So that's right.  Do not click on the file.  Try to open it from within the program.  What program Did you install? Was it Premier?  You didn't install Turbo Tax Business did you?

Tried again today and I can see the download but in "downloads" but can't seem to pull it in to open in Turbo Tax 2017. Tried a different browser and then got the State to load and it restarted Turbo Tax 2017 Amend but still can't seem to find file even when I do "File Open" from there. But keep getting emails from Turbo Tax that I've accessed my returns.
Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies