whitacre4965

Why do I have to mail my ameded tax return?

I had to amend my Fed return to add a 1099.  This did not change my Oregon State because it was now earned in Oregon.  It appears Ihave to mail both amended returns is this correct?  A payment to IRS is required.  Do I need to attach a copy of my original report or just the new 1099?

KarenL2

Yes, amended returns have to be printed and mailed.  Also, you only have to attach the 1099 (not the original tax return).  Amending is done on Form 1040X.  Also, if your return is accepted, you should not try to amend your return until it has been fully processed and you have received your refund or your payment has cleared.

It can take the IRS up to 12 weeks or longer to process them.   If you are due a larger refund than on your original return, your amended return should only show the difference and you will receive a separate check for it.  If you owe money on your amended return, it will show only the new amount owed, you will have to mail a check with the return.

How to Amend?

KarenL2

How to Amend?