• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
wiseacre74

Why did I receive estimated payments to make for next years return? I work full-time for a large corporation and have never had an issue with appropriate taxes being withheld. I am concerned that i've mucked something up with my return.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
ThomasM

Why did I receive estimated payments to make for next years return? I work full-time for a large corporation and have never had an issue with appropriate taxes being withheld. I am concerned that i've mucked something up with my return.

If you owe money, then TurboTax will include the vouchers automatically.  If you don't owe -- and don't customarily make estimated payments -- then you can just shred the vouchers.  They're printed as a convenience; you aren't required to use them.

Making estimated payments is entirely up to you, though IRS & states will charge you penalties if you owe above a certain amount (based on previous year's tax liability and current year amount paid in).  I don't know exactly why TurboTax will sometimes print them if you don't owe.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
ThomasM

If you owe money, then TurboTax will include the vouchers automatically.  If you don't owe -- and don't customarily make estimated payments -- then you can just shred the vouchers.  They're printed as a convenience; you aren't required to use them.

Making estimated payments is entirely up to you, though IRS & states will charge you penalties if you owe above a certain amount (based on previous year's tax liability and current year amount paid in).  I don't know exactly why TurboTax will sometimes print them if you don't owe.

Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads
Privacy Settings
v