taybryant2008

Why are my federal (Married-joint) and state returns (marrier-seperate) showing different filing statuses?

npierson7

You most likely chose a different status when you went through your state interview, maybe unintentionally. If you didn't file your return yet, you can revisit your state personal section and correct that. If you already filed, and want to change your status, your the only choice to amend your return. 

taybryant2008

Hmm, I deleted it all and redid it. It still shows as married filing jointly on federal and defaults to married filing separate on my state taxes. There seems to be no place to change this. Tried going back to personal information several times but this is not an option in state.

DMarkM1

Would you clarify which state return(s) are you working?  That may help us directly to the experience.