Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Why am I charged $39.99 for Basic under the Advantage program, when I can get it 25% cheaper from Amazon? There should be a discount for loyalty, not a penalty!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Why am I charged $39.99 for Basic under the Advantage program, when I can get it 25% cheaper from Amazon? There should be a discount for loyalty, not a penalty!

Retail pricing is complicated.  Essentially, turbotax (or any manufacturer) sets a price based on the value they think the program has.  If the program is offered through retailers, turbotax sells to them at a wholesale price and is prohibited by law from mandating a retail price.  Some retailers will sell for more, others for less.  

Meanwhile, if turbotax themselves sold the program for a lower price, they would essentially be telling the world this is a lesser value.  Then retailers would refuse to carry the CD unless they dropped the wholesale price, and then some discounters would drop the retail price to undercut turbotax and attract customers, and so on.

Now, if you are buying a standalone copy, I would always recommend buying from the lowest price authorized retailer you can find.  That would normally be Amazon or Staples if you are not a Costco member, or Costco.  These retailers supply both CDs and digital downloads.

The one product that might be worth buying directly from Turbotax is a Turbotax Advantage membership.  Even though it is close to full price, it includes a CD and both Mac and PC digital downloads, a priority customer support phone number, and you get the software at the earliest possible date.

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Amazon does not have to answer income tax questions. Be sure the Amazon seller is a legit one.

Third party resellers can charge anything they want...it is called a free enterprise system.   You have the choice of where to buy the program so shop around. If you have already bought thru TT then you have 60 days to request a refund.

Retail pricing is complicated.  Essentially, turbotax (or any manufacturer) sets a price based on the value they think the program has.  If the program is offered through retailers, turbotax sells to them at a wholesale price and is prohibited by law from mandating a retail price.  Some retailers will sell for more, others for less.  

Meanwhile, if turbotax themselves sold the program for a lower price, they would essentially be telling the world this is a lesser value.  Then retailers would refuse to carry the CD unless they dropped the wholesale price, and then some discounters would drop the retail price to undercut turbotax and attract customers, and so on.

Now, if you are buying a standalone copy, I would always recommend buying from the lowest price authorized retailer you can find.  That would normally be Amazon or Staples if you are not a Costco member, or Costco.  These retailers supply both CDs and digital downloads.

The one product that might be worth buying directly from Turbotax is a Turbotax Advantage membership.  Even though it is close to full price, it includes a CD and both Mac and PC digital downloads, a priority customer support phone number, and you get the software at the earliest possible date.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies