Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I can’t file because it says someone is claiming me as a dependent. I haven’t lived with that person for 8 months. How does that work?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
AmyW

I can’t file because it says someone is claiming me as a dependent. I haven’t lived with that person for 8 months. How does that work?

If someone claimed you when they were not entitled to claim you as a dependent then, you can ask the other party to amend their return. If they will not remove you as a dependent, you may file on paper. The IRS will contact both parties to determine who is entitled to claim and will credit the person that met the requirements. If it is determined that the other party should not have claimed you as a dependent, the IRS will make them pay back the exemption along with any penalties or interest associated with their false claim.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
AmyW

If someone claimed you when they were not entitled to claim you as a dependent then, you can ask the other party to amend their return. If they will not remove you as a dependent, you may file on paper. The IRS will contact both parties to determine who is entitled to claim and will credit the person that met the requirements. If it is determined that the other party should not have claimed you as a dependent, the IRS will make them pay back the exemption along with any penalties or interest associated with their false claim.

Who would be able to claim me? I’m 21 and part time in school. But when I did live with them at the beginning of 2017 I was full time student. I moved out shortly after and have not been more than part time in school since April. Is it based on the majority of the year or my current standing?
AmyW

The rules for claiming a qualifying child are:
* She is under 19, or a full-time student and under 24 years of age. There is no age limit if he is permanently and totally disabled.
* She lives with you for more than half of the year (Temporary absences, like going to college does not count)
* You provided more than half of her support for the tax year
* You are the only person claiming her

See the article below for the rules about claiming a qualifying child.
<a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tools/tax-tips/Family/Tax-Exemptions-and-Deductions-for-Families/INF...>

Here is a worksheet that will help you determine if you provide more than half of your son's support:
<a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://apps.irs.gov/app/vita/content/globalmedia/teacher/worksheet_for_determining_support_4012.pdf...>
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies