turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

ambd1364

I have been caring for my close friend of 15+ years baby born in Sept as unf she is an addict can I claim her since I've been supporting her for this time being?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Hal_Al
Level 15

I have been caring for my close friend of 15+ years baby born in Sept as unf she is an addict can I claim her since I've been supporting her for this time being?

Who are you trying to claim; your friend or her child or both? Do they live you? If so, did your friend live with you all year and did the baby live with you the whole time since being born?

To claim an unrelated person, they must have lived with you all year (or since birth). 

There are two types of dependents, "Qualifying Children"(QC) and standard ("Qualifying Relative" in IRS parlance even though they don't have to actually be related). There is no income limit for a QC but there is an age limit, a relationship test and a residence test. Only a QC qualifies a taxpayer for the Earned Income Credit and the Child Tax Credit. 

Neither of them can be your QC, since they re not related. That is, the child may qualify as a dependent, but because he is not related, he cannot be a qualifying child for the earned income credit, child tax credit or Head of Household filing status. 

A person can still be a Qualifying relative dependent, if not a Qualifying Child, if he meets the 6 tests for claiming a dependent:

1. Closely Related OR live with the taxpayer ALL year

2. His/her gross taxable income for the year must be less than $4,050 (2016-17)

3. The taxpayer must have provided more than 1/2 his support 

4. He must be a US citizen or resident of the US, Canada or Mexico 

5. He must not file a joint return with his spouse or be claiming a dependent of his own

6. He must not be the qualifying child of another taxpayer

He must have a US social security number or tax identification number (TIN)

In addition to the above requirements, to claim your friend's children, they must meet all of the above requirements and:

--- your friend must not be required to file a return,

--- she does not file a return claiming the children

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Hal_Al
Level 15

Who are you trying to claim; your friend or her child or both? Do they live you? If so, did your friend live with you all year and did the baby live with you the whole time since being born?

To claim an unrelated person, they must have lived with you all year (or since birth). 

There are two types of dependents, "Qualifying Children"(QC) and standard ("Qualifying Relative" in IRS parlance even though they don't have to actually be related). There is no income limit for a QC but there is an age limit, a relationship test and a residence test. Only a QC qualifies a taxpayer for the Earned Income Credit and the Child Tax Credit. 

Neither of them can be your QC, since they re not related. That is, the child may qualify as a dependent, but because he is not related, he cannot be a qualifying child for the earned income credit, child tax credit or Head of Household filing status. 

A person can still be a Qualifying relative dependent, if not a Qualifying Child, if he meets the 6 tests for claiming a dependent:

1. Closely Related OR live with the taxpayer ALL year

2. His/her gross taxable income for the year must be less than $4,050 (2016-17)

3. The taxpayer must have provided more than 1/2 his support 

4. He must be a US citizen or resident of the US, Canada or Mexico 

5. He must not file a joint return with his spouse or be claiming a dependent of his own

6. He must not be the qualifying child of another taxpayer

He must have a US social security number or tax identification number (TIN)

In addition to the above requirements, to claim your friend's children, they must meet all of the above requirements and:

--- your friend must not be required to file a return,

--- she does not file a return claiming the children

ambd1364

No just her twins I have had them since birth at my house with my daughter, and have fully supported them while she is out running the streets so they wouldn't go into the system. She won't be filling a return as she didn't work the entire year and has no income or information to file and also gave me a verbal consent to file for them, there is just no SSN so I'm afraid that would cause an issue. I just wanted to clarify before filing so there wouldn't be any errors on my tax return! I appreciate your quick response that answer really helped
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies