turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

While filing Head of Household, will it affect my kids Grandmother taxes? I live at another location but I use hers for all my mail...

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
KurtL1
Expert Alumni

While filing Head of Household, will it affect my kids Grandmother taxes? I live at another location but I use hers for all my mail...

If you lived with your children for over 6 months during the year and you provided over one-half of the support of the household you would qualify to claim the Head of Household filing status. If you did not live with the children you can not file as Head of Household.

If your children lived with their grandmother for over 6 months during the year and she provided over one-half of the support of the household she would qualify to claim the Head of Household filing status. 

She will be affected if you claim the Head of Household filing status when is the one qualified to claim the filing status. Both of you cannot claim the status for the same dependents. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I think you meant that you and the kids all live at another location which you pay for  and you  use gma's address for mailing purposes only ... if that is right your using her address on your HOH return will not hurt anyone in any way. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies