turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

t110

How do you file for free? I clicked on free edition when I began entering my information, so why is that when I try to file, it's asking for payment information?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
ModestaL

How do you file for free? I clicked on free edition when I began entering my information, so why is that when I try to file, it's asking for payment information?

TurboTax Free Edition is free as long as you file a 1040EZ (or 1040A with the standard deduction) and don't select any add-ons or upgrades. 

However, you can downgrade using the Clear and Start Over feature but bear in mind that the different TurboTax "flavors" handle different tax situations and their associated forms. Please see FAQ (click on see entire answer), and complete the steps to downgrade: https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3288495

View solution in original post

2 Replies
ModestaL

Which version are you currently using (it's showing the Deluxe version)?
ModestaL

TurboTax Free Edition is free as long as you file a 1040EZ (or 1040A with the standard deduction) and don't select any add-ons or upgrades. 

However, you can downgrade using the Clear and Start Over feature but bear in mind that the different TurboTax "flavors" handle different tax situations and their associated forms. Please see FAQ (click on see entire answer), and complete the steps to downgrade: https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3288495

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies