nov_284

Which parent should claim advance child tax credit, married filing jointly with two kids

Filing jointly it does not matter which parent received the advance child tax credit.  You report the payments received when asked by the program.

Mike9241

if you're filing jointly it won't matter.

nov_284

If I put it in as each of us receiving the credit, the program doubles it. We received $500 total, but when I put it into the program it asks if $1000 is correct. 

Super annoying; I tried to opt out of the payments totally specifically to avoid this problem. I mean, I didn’t see *this* problem coming, but I knew it was going to be something. 

fanfare

There is no problem.

On a joint return, your family gets the credit per child.

You enter the numbers only once.

fanfare

if somehow you both applied for and both received the credit per child,

you'll have to pay back half of it.