Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

KP5

On Form 1116, how can I get TT to put passive income on copy#1 and general income on copy#2? Or can I just check the one category that fits with the majority of income?

Form 1116 will only let you check one category (passive or general income)

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

On Form 1116, how can I get TT to put passive income on copy#1 and general income on copy#2? Or can I just check the one category that fits with the majority of income?

For passive category, do you have any 1099's or K-1's?
KP5

Yes the passive category income comes from a mutual fund and reported on a 1099. Income is from working in Canada and reported on a T4.

Which had the greater foreign tax paid, the mutual fund or the T4?
KP5

mutual fund

You will go thru the f1116 interview twice. When you enter the 1st time, by default TT will run thru the screens for the 1099-div. Work thru the screens until finished. TT will generate COPY 1 , passive category. Then re-visit the interview the 2nd time. It will ask if you want to review the 1099-div entries.Reply No and continue until you get to a screen to select the category type. Select general category and input the applicable info on  the screens until finished. TT will create COPY 2 general category.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies