Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

macrav

My employer paid part of my ACA premium as a benefit. Does that need to be reported?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MiriamF
Intuit Alumni

My employer paid part of my ACA premium as a benefit. Does that need to be reported?

This reimbursement is a non-taxable benefit. It can complicate your life, however, if those payments cause your medical expenses to exceed the 10% of AGI threshold for deductible medical expenses, and you are filing Schedule A.

The amount you pay for health insurance is automatically carried over to Schedule A. However, because you didn't pay these premiums yourself, you cannot claim them as a deduction. To delete them from your deductible medical expenses, you can list them as "medical reimbursements."

To do this in TurboTax:

1. Open your tax return.
  2. Choose the Federal Taxes tab.
  3. Click on Deductions & Credits.
  4. Select I'll choose what I work on.
  5. Scroll down to Medical.
  6. Click through the pages until you come to the page headed Tell us about anything received in medical reimbursements. (see the screenshot below). Enter the amount that your employer paid for your health insurance there.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
MiriamF
Intuit Alumni

This reimbursement is a non-taxable benefit. It can complicate your life, however, if those payments cause your medical expenses to exceed the 10% of AGI threshold for deductible medical expenses, and you are filing Schedule A.

The amount you pay for health insurance is automatically carried over to Schedule A. However, because you didn't pay these premiums yourself, you cannot claim them as a deduction. To delete them from your deductible medical expenses, you can list them as "medical reimbursements."

To do this in TurboTax:

1. Open your tax return.
  2. Choose the Federal Taxes tab.
  3. Click on Deductions & Credits.
  4. Select I'll choose what I work on.
  5. Scroll down to Medical.
  6. Click through the pages until you come to the page headed Tell us about anything received in medical reimbursements. (see the screenshot below). Enter the amount that your employer paid for your health insurance there.
macrav

Okay, thank you so much!  That's what I thought.  I imagine that will also resolve any ACA subsidy issues?
MiriamF
Intuit Alumni

Whether you paid the correct amount for your ACA insurance is a separate matter. That is calculated using form 8962. You could either have a refund or owe, depending upon your actual income for the year compared to your earlier estimate when you got the insurance.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies