turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Laura142

Can I claim separation/severance payment to my ex as alimony? It was paid to me through railroad payroll in 2017. I paid her directly, 50% less the taxes, in 2018.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MichaelMc

Can I claim separation/severance payment to my ex as alimony? It was paid to me through railroad payroll in 2017. I paid her directly, 50% less the taxes, in 2018.

Whether the payment is alimony will depend on how it was defined in the divorce decree or property settlement agreement. If the court defined the payment as alimony, there are tax consequences through 2018.

If the divorce became official on or before December 31, 2018, the party paying alimony can still deduct alimony (spousal support) payments from income, and the party receiving alimony must continue to report it as taxable income.

Alimony for divorces and separations finalized after 2018 are no longer taxable or deductible.

However, if the separation/severance payment was considered by the court to be a marital asset, and the payment from one spouse to the other was simply part of the property settlement, there are no tax consequences.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
MichaelMc

Whether the payment is alimony will depend on how it was defined in the divorce decree or property settlement agreement. If the court defined the payment as alimony, there are tax consequences through 2018.

If the divorce became official on or before December 31, 2018, the party paying alimony can still deduct alimony (spousal support) payments from income, and the party receiving alimony must continue to report it as taxable income.

Alimony for divorces and separations finalized after 2018 are no longer taxable or deductible.

However, if the separation/severance payment was considered by the court to be a marital asset, and the payment from one spouse to the other was simply part of the property settlement, there are no tax consequences.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies