turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

GeminiinimeG
Returning Member

Where do I document the cashback rewards from third parties such as ebates reported as part of gross income on my 1099-K as a "disbursement"?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
VictoriaD75
Expert Alumni

Where do I document the cashback rewards from third parties such as ebates reported as part of gross income on my 1099-K as a "disbursement"?

You can deduct these separately as business expenses as long as they were included in gross income. 

For example, you sold $1,000 of goods and gave discounts of $100. If the $1,000 is reported in gross income, the $100 can be reported separately as an expense. If $900 is reported in gross income, no adjustment needs to be made.

To enter the business expense, you can list in Other Common Business Expenses found under Business. 

You can also adjust income for the business by choosing Add income for this work. Click the button Rebates/refunds paid. The next screen will allow you to enter the description and dollar amount. This will report these separately from other miscellaneous business expenses and will reduce income in Part I.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

3 Replies
VictoriaD75
Expert Alumni

From the Federal menu on the left, choose Wages & Income. Expand the menu for Other Common Income. Click Start/Revisit next to Form 1099-K. On the screens that follow, enter the information from your documents.

GeminiinimeG
Returning Member

@VictoriaD75 Thanks. I already got this far but my federal taxes shouldn't increase if the IRS sees this cashback as a discount for purchases made. How can I submit it as a deduction since paypal reported it as gross income?

VictoriaD75
Expert Alumni

You can deduct these separately as business expenses as long as they were included in gross income. 

For example, you sold $1,000 of goods and gave discounts of $100. If the $1,000 is reported in gross income, the $100 can be reported separately as an expense. If $900 is reported in gross income, no adjustment needs to be made.

To enter the business expense, you can list in Other Common Business Expenses found under Business. 

You can also adjust income for the business by choosing Add income for this work. Click the button Rebates/refunds paid. The next screen will allow you to enter the description and dollar amount. This will report these separately from other miscellaneous business expenses and will reduce income in Part I.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies