turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

philzentz

Where are ABLE accounts for special needs family members addressed in the tax code? I didn't see it in Fed or state. Thx.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
Rachel_W
Expert Alumni

Where are ABLE accounts for special needs family members addressed in the tax code? I didn't see it in Fed or state. Thx.

Contributions to ABLE accounts are not deductible on your Federal Tax return; however, they may be deductible on your State return depending on where you live. 

Here are some links you may find helpful regarding ABLE Accounts:

If you have another question regarding ABLE accounts, please comment below so that I can assist you further.

I'm looking to do an indirect rollover from a 529 to an ABLE account.  I am the owner of the 529 while my child is the beneficiary.  Under ABLE, I understand that the owner and the beneficiary must be the same person.  It it therefore necessary for the withdrawal from the 529 be made in my child's name?  If not, and considering that the rollover itself will be a non-taxable event, are there any tax implications or other good reasons to doing it in either my name or my child's name?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies