Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the Refund! >> Event happening NOW!!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I was concerned that after keying in my 1099 Misc info,(which was the ONLY income entered at that point), TT said I had a refund? How could that be?

i was fully expecting it to say i OWED money, NOT that i had a REFUND. I'm married, filing jointly, self employed, and wife is w2'd
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Anita01

I was concerned that after keying in my 1099 Misc info,(which was the ONLY income entered at that point), TT said I had a refund? How could that be?

When you first start entering income, all the standard deduction and personal exemptions and credits are applied only to your income.  It's not at all a meaningful number because it bears no real relationship to the return that will ultimately be filed.  Jut ignore the beginning amounts and keep going.  The amounts will become meaningful as your real return takes shape.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Anita01

When you first start entering income, all the standard deduction and personal exemptions and credits are applied only to your income.  It's not at all a meaningful number because it bears no real relationship to the return that will ultimately be filed.  Jut ignore the beginning amounts and keep going.  The amounts will become meaningful as your real return takes shape.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies