turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

When the tax questions began the fed ref est = 2900 after my w2 income 35295 & then SS inc 22900 I have $ 88 ref even tho I pd in extra all yr?

My fed wh was 5932 and the return shows I still owe $88 (oops not ref)  Something surely seems wrong.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

When the tax questions began the fed ref est = 2900 after my w2 income 35295 & then SS inc 22900 I have $ 88 ref even tho I pd in extra all yr?

0-85% of your Social Security is taxable, depending upon your other (Joint) income. Ideally, your taxes withheld should equal your taxes due, so that you zero out at year end.

The refund meter is meaningless until all your information had been entered. Your taxes are 5932+88 = $6,020 on a gross income of $58,195. Why do you think that is too high?  Try here:

https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tools/calculators/taxcaster/

View solution in original post

3 Replies

0-85% of your Social Security is taxable, depending upon your other (Joint) income. Ideally, your taxes withheld should equal your taxes due, so that you zero out at year end.

The refund meter is meaningless until all your information had been entered. Your taxes are 5932+88 = $6,020 on a gross income of $58,195. Why do you think that is too high?  Try here:

https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tools/calculators/taxcaster/

You added $22,900 of income, with $0 of additional withholding.  Of course that is going to have a huge impact on your taxes.

About 85% of the $22,900 is subject to taxes.  So that adds $19,465 to your tax return.  If you were in the 15% tax bracket, that adds $2920 of income tax.

So it sounds about right to me.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies