nbalster46

When I file the 2015 tax return do I use the assigned tax Id for my dad. My mom passed away in 2003 or do I use his ssa number

Do I use the assigned tax id from IRS or my dad's ssa number to file his 2015 taxes. Dad passed away in March 2016 and Mama passed away in 2003

Texas Roger

You use the social security number for filing a form 1040 tax return for income received when the person was alive. If you are thinking about an EIN assigned to the estate after his death, that would be used on an estate tax return form 1041 for estate income.

Texas Roger

nbalster46

Since he passed away in 2016 do I use his ssa number or IRS assigned tax id. I think I may have to file an estate tax return too?????
fanfare

File the final tax return with SSN.
You won't need an estate return unless the estate is large enough to generate $600 or more of income.

See IRS Pub 559 "Survivors..." available at www.irs.gov for all the details of how to file.

You will have to file as personal representative a return for 2015 and a final return for 2016.