turbotax icon
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

When filing an injured spouse form, how do u know what amount of tax payments I can claim?

This feature is pending. Thanks for your patience.
Didn't get the answer you wanted? Our digital assistant can help you.
1 Reply
Intuit Alumni

When filing an injured spouse form, how do u know what amount of tax payments I can claim?

Tax payments includes any Federal estimated tax payments, additional child tax credit, refundable American Opportunity Credit, amounts paid with an extension, excess Social Security withheld, and other less common amounts.  If the tax payments includes Earned Income Tax Credit, you do not allocate that amount because the IRS will do the calculation for you when your Injured Spouse form is filed. 

You would include any amounts for estimated payments that you paid and any amounts paid with an extension that you paid.

If there is an additional child tax credit or a refundable American Opportunity Credit for a dependent that you are allocating to your return, then you would include that amount.

If your W-2s indicated that an excess Social Security amount was withheld, then you would include that amount.

You may need to take a look at your Form 1040 to determine what is being included on the joint return for tax payments so that you can determine how to make the allocation.

Use these steps while you are working in your tax return to Preview your Form 1040 and take a look at lines 65 through 73.

·         In the navigation area on the left side of your screen, click Tax Tools to expand your choices

·         Click Tools, which will open the Tool Center

·         Click View Tax Summary under “Other Helpful Links…

·         Click Preview My 1040 to see your actual tax form

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
message box icon

Ready to start your taxes?

Hand off your taxes, get expert help, or do it yourself.

See Pricing
Manage cookies