turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

mqatax

I'm a Resident Alien on F1 visa and my scholarship is from my country, I have never received any income in the US, is form 8843 the right one for me?

I'm an international student on F1 visa on a scholarship from my country. I have run the test and I turned out to be Resident Alien, however, I have never received any income during my entire stay in the US. is form 8843 the right one for my case? OR I have to use other forms like 1040?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
pk
Level 15
Level 15

I'm a Resident Alien on F1 visa and my scholarship is from my country, I have never received any income in the US, is form 8843 the right one for me?

When did you enter this country with F-1?  Which country are you from ?

mqatax

March 2012, from Saudi Arabia, but again, I have never made any income in the US.
pk
Level 15
Level 15

Since there is NO tax treaty between US and Saudi Arabia, you cannot claim any treaty benefits.  However, generally,  even if you are a resident for tax purposes, if you have NO world income there is no reason to file. 8843 is to declare that you are exercising treaty based  exemptions for Social security or income  stipends received from your home country etc.
I am assuming here that you are receiving stipend / grant from Saudi Arabia  for education and living expenses.  As a US Resident for tax purposes, grants/scholarships are not taxable to the extent they are used only for education purposes ( school fees, required tool/equipment/ books etc.)  i.e. the portion used for non-qualified use., such as living expenses are taxable income.  So you may be liable for this  and therefore you would have to file form 1040  and would need to include the details from form 1098-T from your school.

You can also include a 1098-T and try and convince the IRS  that since you are still a student from another country  and have no intention of staying here , that your closer connection is to Saudi Arabia. and that you are complying with the conditions of your visa-- thus they should treat you to be a Non-Resident.  If this works then they will allow you to file a form 1040-NR and therefore you can exclude the  income from Saudi Arabia
Insha Alla, it will work  
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies