turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

null305

I recently got married (Aug 15th) but I haven't told my employer . My husband is not a legal citizen, how do taxes work? Or should i file as single still or married?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I recently got married (Aug 15th) but I haven't told my employer . My husband is not a legal citizen, how do taxes work? Or should i file as single still or married?

What you select on the W-4 that you give to your employer for your status and the number of allowances claimed for income tax withholding is not relevant on how you file your tax return.

If you are legally married as of 12/31/2017 you can only file your 2017 tax return as either Married Filing Jointly or Married Filing Separately.  If your spouse is an illegal they can still get a Individual Tax Identification Number from the IRS to be used on a tax return in lieu of a Social Security number by completing a Form W-7.

See this IRS website for information on an ITIN - https://www.irs.gov/individuals/international-taxpayers/general-itin-information

View solution in original post

1 Reply

What you select on the W-4 that you give to your employer for your status and the number of allowances claimed for income tax withholding is not relevant on how you file your tax return.

If you are legally married as of 12/31/2017 you can only file your 2017 tax return as either Married Filing Jointly or Married Filing Separately.  If your spouse is an illegal they can still get a Individual Tax Identification Number from the IRS to be used on a tax return in lieu of a Social Security number by completing a Form W-7.

See this IRS website for information on an ITIN - https://www.irs.gov/individuals/international-taxpayers/general-itin-information

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies