turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

kspiers1

Do I qualify to file widow or do I file single? my son is over age 25 unemployed all year and my dependent. My husband passed away in 2017.

Turbo tax says  my best choice of filing status that I qualify for is widowed. I claim my 40 year old son as a dependent because he has no income and lives with me. I can’t fill out the “work sheet”. It doesn’t seem to apply to me.  Do I really qualify or is TurboTax incorrect assigning widowed status?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Do I qualify to file widow or do I file single? my son is over age 25 unemployed all year and my dependent. My husband passed away in 2017.

You can have Qualifying Widow filing status in 2018 claiming your son as a dependent if your son lived in your home for more than 6 months during the year, he did not have gross income of $4,150 or more and you provided over one-half of his support for the year.

View solution in original post

3 Replies

What year did your spouse pass away?
kspiers1

You can have Qualifying Widow filing status in 2018 claiming your son as a dependent if your son lived in your home for more than 6 months during the year, he did not have gross income of $4,150 or more and you provided over one-half of his support for the year.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies