Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

  • Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Your taxes, your way. Get expert help or do it yourself. >> Get started
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
New Member

What to do when your tax return doesn't go through because of a birth date issue?

I keep trying to file my tax return but it keeps saying my birthday is wrong and not the same as what the IRS has. I checked my previous tax returns and they all have my correct birthday. What do I do? I don't want my taxes to take even longer to arrive.
1 Reply
New Member

What to do when your tax return doesn't go through because of a birth date issue?

This rejection occurs when the date of birth or Social Security number for the primary taxpayer (the first person listed on the return) is either incorrect or doesn't match what's on file with the IRS.

Try This First (Recommended)

Get your Social Security card and then follow these steps to make sure your information was entered correctly:

  1. Open your return in TurboTax, and then click Personal Info.
  2. Continue to the Your Personal Info Summary screen.
  3. Next to the first listed taxpayer, click Edit.
  4. Make sure the first taxpayer's Social Security Number exactly matches the information on the Social Security card, and that the Birth Date is correct and entered in MM/DD/YYYY format (not the European DD/MM/YYYY format).
    • If the information is wrong, correct it.
  5. Continue until you're back at the Your Personal Info Summary screen.
    • If you made any corrections, click Done With Personal Info at the bottom, and then e-file your return again.
    • Otherwise, if you verified that the info you entered is correct, proceed to Other Options, below.

Other Options

If you verified that the information you entered into TurboTax exactly matches the Social Security card, and that the birth date is correct and has been entered in MM/DD/YYYY format, your next step is to call the Social Security Administration (SSA) at 1-800-772-1213 to verify that the SSA's records are correct. (The IRS gets their information from the SSA.) Correct SSA records will prevent the same rejection next year.

In the meantime, your best option is to file a paper return, as your return will continue to get rejected until the mismatch is fixed at the SSA, which can take at 4–6 weeks or even longer.

About Community

Learn about taxes, budgeting, saving, borrowing, reducing debt, investing, and planning for retirement.



Manage cookies