masieripa

What to do if someone else can claim me as a dependent for only 3 months out of the year?

My boyfriend claimed me as a domestic partner so I can be covered under his health care plan after having our daughter and going on unpaid family leave from my current job for the last 3 months of the year. The 9 months that I was not his dependent shouldn't be effected correct?

IsabellaG

How your boyfriend completed his health care documents doesn't affect your income taxes. If you had income of more than $4050, he would not be able to claim you as a dependent on his return.Assuming that you  provided more than half of your own support from earned income in 2016 and no other person (such as a parent) is entitled to claim you, then you can claim yourself on your tax return.

IsabellaG