jhsyber

What should i do as a employed single parent and student? I live with my babys mother and the baby i made about 8k last year. My girlfriend made 4k We were thinking on filing as me the head of the hou

house and both of em my depends but im not sure if its a good idea since its only 8k and hers is 4k. Should we just file separately and one of us claim the baby, even though i support the house with m
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Carl

If you are the biological father of the baby, then you can easily qualify HOH and claim both GF and child as your dependents. Since the GF earned less than $4K in 2017, even when she indicates she can be claimed as a dependent on someone else's return, she will still get all of her withheld taxes refunded to her.

So *IF* you qualify to claim the baby and the GF, you should do so and file HOH. The GF can not claim any dependents, or take her self-exemption. But even so, she will still get all withheld taxes refunded to her.

If you are NOT the biological father of the baby, then you can't do this.

jhsyber

Great man that does help a lot now the only question do I still qualify to claim them both if I made less than 10k?
Carl

Why bother? Filing as single, your standard deduction is $6,350 and your self-exemption is another $4,050 making the first $10,400 of your income tax exempt. It seems quite obvious that someone in the household is receiving some kind of monetary assistance, as even combining your incomes, there's no way two adults and a child could survive on $12K for the entire year. At today's prices, $12K would barely pay rent for a year in most places.
jhsyber

That's definitely true that is why this year we were leaving with a friend who had a family debt so we didn't pay full rent but anyways that's really our business. I just wanted to see if it's possible to do it that way yes or no.
Carl

" we were leaving with a friend "
So you don't qualify for HOH since you are not the one paying more than half the cost of maintaining that household. You have what the IRS sees as a "cost sharing arraignment" where you are not the one living in the household, with the highest cost of maintaining that household.
Carl

In fact, it's perfectly possible the friend could possibly qualify to claim the GF as a dependent since she earned less than $4,050 last year, but not her child since they are not blood related.