Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

What should I do after not receiving a refund for over 4 months?

I filed an amendment four months ago and have yet to receive anything.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
Carl
Level 15

The IRS is severely backlogged on mailed returns, to include amended. All you can really do is wait. You can check the status of an amended return at https://www.irs.gov/filing/wheres-my-amended-return

It takes at least 3 weeks (usually longer) for a mailed amended return to show up in the IRS system. But with the severe backlog they're dealing with now, it would not surprise me at all of your amended return is still not in their system even though you may have mailed it months ago.

Even during “normal” times it takes about four months for the IRS to process an amended return.  During the pandemic and due to the severe backlog at the IRS it is taking much longer—six months or much longer  for many amended returns.  Do not expect quick results from amending.  When the IRS issues a refund for an amended return it will be by check.  They do not make direct deposits for refunds for amended returns.  You can watch for information here:

https://www.irs.gov/Filing/Individuals/Amended-Returns-(Form-1040-X)/Wheres-My-Amended-Return-1

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Just checking.......,did you wait to amend until the original return was fully processed and you got the first refund or paid a tax due?  Why did you amend?

@zmalinzak-gmail-the IRS is woefully backlogged and amendemnts are talking 9-12 months to process

here is what hte IRS website states: 

Status of Processing Form 1040-X, Amended Individual Tax Return: As of July 23, 2022, we had 2 million unprocessed Forms 1040-X. We are processing these returns in the order received and are working hard to get through the inventory. The current timeframe can be more than 20 weeks instead of up to 16. Please don't file a second tax return or contact the IRS about the status of your amended return. Taxpayers should continue to check Where's My Amended Return? for the most up to date processing status available.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies