turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

dfbertsch

Why do I need self employed tax form if I take standard deduction of $15,000. Why should I pay for the higher cost tax program

Turbotax determined I was better off taking standard deduction rather than itemising.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

Why do I need self employed tax form if I take standard deduction of $15,000. Why should I pay for the higher cost tax program

What kind of income do you have? Do you have self-employment or business income?
dfbertsch

Yes...im retired but have residual income.

You need the self-employed version to report self-employment or business income. That is totally independent of whether you itemize deductions on Schedule A or take the standard deduction.

You need the self-employed version to report self-employment or business income. That is totally independent of whether you itemize deductions on Schedule A or take the standard deduction.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies