turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I'm a non-resident alien who got married last year, but hasn't received their green card yet. I am filing jointly with my wife. How can I make sure I file the right form?

Came to the US in 2014 with F-1 visa, currently on OPT under same visa. We were married before 12/31/2017 and I spent 365 days in the US (and in case it matters: have bought a house with my name on the deed). Spouse is US citizen.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I'm a non-resident alien who got married last year, but hasn't received their green card yet. I am filing jointly with my wife. How can I make sure I file the right form?

Since you are a nonresident alien, you need to attach a statement to your return that you choose to be treated as resident alien for the entire year, otherwise you cannot file jointly. To add the statement, you need to file by regular mail.

View solution in original post

5 Replies

what is the visa status of your spouse?

Spouse is US citizen.

Since you are a nonresident alien, you need to attach a statement to your return that you choose to be treated as resident alien for the entire year, otherwise you cannot file jointly. To add the statement, you need to file by regular mail.

Hi bine22, thank you for your answer. Do you have an example of what that statement looks like?

there is no template, here is an excerpt from the IRS website
<a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://www.irs.gov/individuals/international-taxpayers/nonresident-alien-spouse">https://www.irs.go...>
How to Make the Choice
Attach a statement, signed by both spouses, to your joint return for the first tax year for which the choice applies. It should contain the following information:

A declaration that one spouse was a nonresident alien and the other spouse a U.S. citizen or resident alien on the last day of your tax year, and that you choose to be treated as U.S. residents for the entire tax year
The name, address, and identification number of each spouse. (If one spouse died, include the name and address of the person making the choice for the deceased spouse.)
Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies