turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

What is the section "2018 State Capital Loss Carryovers (For users not transferring from the prior year)" on my 2019 Federal Carryover Worksheet?

I'm doing my 2019 federal and California nonresident (540NR) state taxes in TurboTax desktop. I have federal and CA capital loss carryovers from 2018. I've completed everything and now reviewing the PDF.

I see section "2018 State Capital Loss Carryovers (For users not transferring from the prior year)" at the bottom of page 3 of the Federal Carryover Worksheet. This section has one entry for CA lists the correct carryover amount in the "Capital Loss (combined for State)" column.

If this section was simply titled "2018 State Capital Loss Carryovers" then I'd have no questions.

But I don't know what they mean by the phrase "For users not transferring from the prior year". What does it mean by "not transferring from the prior year"?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
JohnB5677
Expert Alumni

What is the section "2018 State Capital Loss Carryovers (For users not transferring from the prior year)" on my 2019 Federal Carryover Worksheet?

You got it!  That's an excellent description.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

7 Replies
JohnB5677
Expert Alumni

To check what your 2018 carryover came in at and to confirm what your 2019 will be please go to your Carryover Wks.  You can find this in the FORMS mode of the desktop version, or it can be listed in the Online version after payment is made.

You will be able to see the Federal carryovers on lines 12 thru 17.  You will also be able to see state carryovers at the bottom of the page below line 30.

@JohnB5677 thank you for the reply. The lines you pointed out on the Carryover Worksheet are correct.

Please bear with me as I think there is something very basic I'm not understanding about the phrase, "For users not transferring from the prior year". When I posted this question I thought it meant, "For people not carrying over their 2018 state capital loss to 2019". And since I am carrying over my state capital loss to 2019 it made me concerned that I entered something incorrectly in TurboTax.

But I have a feeling I am completely misunderstanding. Perhaps the sentence needs a noun and/or adjective thrown in. Is it talking about TurboTax users? Does it mean something like, "For Turbotax users not transferring a TurboTax return from the prior year"?

JohnB5677
Expert Alumni

You got it!  That's an excellent description.

Thank you very much. That was a lot of worry over nothing.

robert torgusen sr
Returning Member

please forward my federal carryover sheet for fy 2018[removed][social security number removed]

robert torgusen sr
Returning Member

lost the carryover sheet for 2018

JohnB5677
Expert Alumni

If you did not use TurboTax last year, and you do not have a copy of your 2018 tax return, you will have to contact your State DOR Office.

Each state is different, but most require you to fill out a form and provide proof of your identity.o state. The cost and length of time you have to request a copy of your return also differ, depending on the state. 

This is a list of all the state DOR Offices: List of State DOR Websites

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies