Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

heidi1pic

Do both spouses need to file an extension if we file our federal taxes jointly?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

No.  Only one extension is needed if you are filing your 2016 tax return as Married Filing Jointly.

View solution in original post

6 Replies

Deleted duplicate answer.

No.  Only one extension is needed if you are filing your 2016 tax return as Married Filing Jointly.

trb1396

What if I'm filing our 2017 tax return as Married Filing Jointly - WILL ONE EXTENSION SUFFICE AS EXTENSION FOR BOTH OF US???

MY SENTIMENTS EXACTLY!!  As of the tax deadline (4/17/18) there is no current 2017 filing information???  My 2017 computer software uses both spouses on the extension form, but says I must mail the form, I can't eFile.  Nowhere during the process was there even a hint that there was free eFiling...even though TurboTax offers the online service.  Stupid.  Then, Online TurboTax Free eFile omitted my husband's information on the form even though I entered all info.  I didn't see there was only my name until I'd already submitted.  TurboTax offered no explanation, no heads-up.  So both names (TurboTax software) or one name (TurboTax online)...WHICH ONE IS CORRECT???  The TurboTax Help both, software and online has gone down the tubes.  I'm looking around at my options next year.
brklyn73

Hi. Did you ever get an answer to this? This same thing happened last night where it only shows my name on the extension. I tried another software to see it before it was sent and I saw it but then the irs rejected it saying it already had me on file. Was it just on your printout or did the irs have its information?

Never got an answer.  :^(  It's still the same this year.  Both names and SSNs on the form that computer TurboTax prints up, but only my name and SSN on the one TurboTax online free e-filing submits.  Last year the extension was accepted, so I'll cross my fingers that will be the case this year also.  But seriously, TurboTax, you manage all the complex forms and provide e-filing, including paying taxes or direct deposit of refunds.  How hard can it be to change the process for one little bitty form?  Please do whatever needs doing to (A) let us e-file extensions through your computer software, and (B) make the info on the software and online forms match so you don't keep giving folks ulcers and heart attacks.  You should understand after all these years that most of us out here are scared to bits of the IRS and making mistakes on our taxes.  (I also submitted an online "suggestion" for the same thing.  You might consider that too.)
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies