Solved: What if I can claim my daughter as a dependant but when she filed her taxes she checked she could not be claimed as a dependant .she was living away for 6 months atschool

rugbee411

What if I can claim my daughter as a dependant but when she filed her taxes she checked she could not be claimed as a dependant .she was living away for 6 months atschool

she didnt think I could claim her because she was away at school for 6 months?

Ashby

Your daughter will have to amend her return to "dependent of another". The IRS will not let you successfully file your return claiming her until they process the amendment of her return. 

This can be done, and is done often, but it's going to delay your return for a considerable amount of time. It will most likely be worth it to be able to claim education credit, head of household (potentially), etc.

Ashby