What happens with jury duty paid by the court that is not deducted from my employee wages until the next year?

Example:  I had served on the grand jury since September 2015, and jurors get paid a set amount starting with the fourth session going forward.  I started getting paid by the court in early December 2015, and have been paid a total of three (3) times by the court.  My employer pays for jury duty, but deducts from my gross wages the amount paid by the court.

In my case, my employer deducted only one of my three jury duty payments from the court (one of which was due to the check being dated 12/31/2015).  Should I then apply the "unprocessed" jury duty pay to 2016's income or to 2015's income?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

No, you report wages as of the date actually paid.  Report however many days of jury pay you were actually paid in 2015.  Presuming that your W-2 shows your net wages (minus the deduction taken for 1 day) then report that too.  Next year you will report any days of jury pay for that year and you will report your net wages (2016 income minus 2016 subtractions.)