mrfootball50

What happens if someone you claimed as a dependent made over $4,050 and you've already filed

I was claimed by my stepdad he supported me all year and I lived with him All year but I made more then $4,050.00 will he get in any trouble because I made more than I'm allowed when someone claims me

AnthonyC

The answer to your question would depend on whether you can be claimed (if at all) as a qualifying child or a qualifying relative.  You have not given us your age, so if you do not meet the age restrictions laid out below for a qualifying child, then you could only be claimed as a qualifying relative.  One of the tests for qualifying relative IS a gross income limitation, which you would have exceeded by earning more than $4,050, and, thus, would not qualify as a dependent under those rules.

A person claimed as a dependent must be:
  • Unmarried (or if married, does not file a joint return unless only to claim a refund)
  • A U.S. Citizen, resident alien or national or a resident of Canada or Mexico
  • Either a qualifying child or a qualifying relative 
To be a qualifying child, a child must:

1. Be the taxpayer’s child, stepchild, eligible foster child, brother, sister, stepbrother, stepsister, or descendent of any of them
  2. Be (a) younger than the taxpayer and either under age 19 or a full-time student under age 24 or (b) any age if totally and permanently disabled
  3. Live with the taxpayer more than half the year
  4. Not provide more than half of his own support
  5. Not file a joint return (unless file only to claim a refund)
  6. Not be a qualified child of another taxpayer 
To be a qualifying relative, the person must:

1. Not be the taxpayer’s or anyone else’s qualifying child
  2. Either (a) live with the taxpayer all year as a member of his/her household, or (b) be related to the taxpayer (see IRS Pub 501 page 19 for details on who qualifies as a relative)
  3. Have gross income less than $4,050
  4. The taxpayer must provide more than half of the person’s support for the year

For a further discussion of the dependency rules, you can see more information at these links Rules for Claiming a Dependent on Your Tax Return and IRS Publication 501 (starts at page 11).