turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

What forms should I send in with my form 8379?

I already filed my federal tax return using Turbotax. Now, I am sending in form 8379. The instructions say to send in copies of the W-2, but it could be slowed by sending a copy of the tax return as well? I'm confused.

What forms should I send in with Form 8379 to expedite this process as much as possible?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MargaretL
Expert Alumni

Generally, if you file Form 8379 with a joint return on paper, the time needed to process it is about 14 weeks (11 weeks if filed electronically). If you file Form 8379 by itself after a joint return has been processed, the time needed is about 8 weeks. That is why they state that copy of the return will slow the process... because the IRS will think you are filing return and the form together.

Since you file the form separately, all you have to attach is W2 form(s), and 1099 forms.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
MargaretL
Expert Alumni

Generally, if you file Form 8379 with a joint return on paper, the time needed to process it is about 14 weeks (11 weeks if filed electronically). If you file Form 8379 by itself after a joint return has been processed, the time needed is about 8 weeks. That is why they state that copy of the return will slow the process... because the IRS will think you are filing return and the form together.

Since you file the form separately, all you have to attach is W2 form(s), and 1099 forms.

shroodle

I efiled and then send a hard copy of 8379 to Fresno with copies of the joint return with the hard copy of form 8379.  But, my copies of the joint return had DO NOT FILE printed across the forms.  So, even though they already offset and sent my refund to the Dept of Education, There's still hope they'll get my portion back and send it to me?
shroodle

I efiled through turbotax and the injured spouse form was in the forms that efiled.  I live in a community property state and in years past have gotten my allowance of refund by filing the injured spouse form   Last year, I filed the injured spouse for after I efiled. I send the form to Fresno.  I never got a refund.  I just got the letter saying all of my refund went to my husband's college loan that he incurred years before we met.  He's also in prison for ten years and hasn't worked since 2015.  So, this year, I efiled and the injured spouse form went automatically with the efile.  Of course, today I get a letter saying my entire refund went to his college loan.  I called the Dept of Education and was told that since I filed an injured spouse form, I'd have to talk to the IRS.  The IRS said talk to the Dept of Education.  I called the IRS call center and they said talk to the IRS.  I called IRS and they said call the IRS call center.  Oh my!!  I filed my hard copy of the injured spouse form 1/23/18.  The federal offset letter said if I filed that form, I should allow 8 weeks.  But, why should I sit here 8 weeks when I already got a letter saying they sent the refund to the dept of education?  What?  Will they get it refunded back and send me the money?  Like that will happen.  With my husband in prison, I was depending on the refund of MY money (remember, he hasn't worked) to pay the deposit and moving costs of moving out of the dangerous place I live now and to a more secure apartment.  I was also going to pay off my mother in law for the deposit help she gave me to move here last year and I was also going to pay my State taxes.  But, they gave it all to his college loan and I'm in a community property state.  I guess I'll spend this year calling around from one place to the next waiting for someone to give me some answers and actually fix this.  I did what I'm suppose to do.  It's like they didn't even acknowledge or wait for the injured spouse form.  As soon as they got the forms efiled, they took my refund and send out the letter. I hope they will acknowledge my form I send to Fresno.  But, they didn't do it last year and this year, they were way too quick to send everything to the Dept of Education.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies