Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

What do i put for How much of your 2018 estimated state taxes did you pay in 2019?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

9 Replies

What do i put for How much of your 2018 estimated state taxes did you pay in 2019?

I have the same question. I paid four quarterly estimated tax payments to OK for 2018. The last one was $162 and was paid in Jan of 2019. So do I include that payment in this field? I  entered all four on my 2018 taxes. Take a look at the following screenshot for this year. 

Capture.PNG

DMarkM1
Employee Tax Expert

Yes the amount in that box is the amount you paid in 2019.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Where do I find this information? Do Ilook on my w2 form from last year or this year? I don't know where to find it. 

JotikaT2
Employee Tax Expert

Typically, you would have this if you were required to make estimated tax payments quarterly.  There is a payment that is due on January 15th of each year.  

Please see the attached for more specific information as it applies to your particular state.  Depending upon your state, you may be able to view your payments in your account.  This may assist you in determine if you made any payments in 2019 for your 2018 tax return.

How to track my refund 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Does this include the amount paid when filing for an extension?

NO ... estimated tax payments and  payments made with an extension are NOT the same thing.  

Let me be more specific ... everything has its  own place in the program ... do NOT be in a hurry to enter something in the wrong place as it will mess things up on both the fed & state returns ...1....jpg2....jpg3....jpg4....jpg 

Thanks for the detailed reply, @Critter-3 , and I learned the answer a minute later when I got to the next page.

Everything I've read previously says overpayment applied to the next year counts towards your quarterly balances, hence the confusion in the moment. TurboTax is riddled with things like this - situations where a simple one line phrase would eliminate the most basic confusion on the issue. ("Don't count overpayments from last year here.") I mean dozens of things could *very* easily come with a bit more guidance and improve the product greatly. TT is geared for home users, not professionals, so it's disappointing that after all these years it isn't better at the most simple guidance. I often find myself finding clarity on an issue as I'm going and have to backtrack and change things. I wish more thought was put into the customer prompts and guidance. 

Because of users feedback over the years  that the program screens were  too complicated and densely packed they have reduced the information on the pages (too much in my opinion) to bare bones  ...  the majority of the questions on this forum (and the ones I used to answer on the phone as a TT tax expert) resolve themselves if the user would simply clicked the continue button and/or read the blue "Learn More" links.   The thousands of  income tax return forms and their  instructions are boiled down to an easy to follow (but sometimes frustrating)  interview based "path" that must be followed step by step. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies