turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

What do I do if I have a 1095-A but was only covered from four months? It was with my mom and dad but I was also covered all year with my employer under 1095-C?

My mom and dad and I were on the plan but mine was only four months. Do I have to enter all the totals for every month or just the months I was insured? Including the shared policy, it is with my mom and dad do I input just one persons information?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

What do I do if I have a 1095-A but was only covered from four months? It was with my mom and dad but I was also covered all year with my employer under 1095-C?

You will start by selecting that you had insurance for the entire year and then click continue.  You will come to a question asking you if you had Obamacare, answer yes and then enter the amount you are allocating to yourself from the 1095-A for ONLY the months you were covered under that policy.  So if you were covered by the Marketplace from January-April, you will only have entries from the 1095-A in months January-April, the rest will be blank.  

After entering the 1095-A you will need to select that you shared the policy and then enter the information for your parents.  

Answering yes to "Did you have insurance all year" is the important part to not get the penalty.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

1 Reply

You will start by selecting that you had insurance for the entire year and then click continue.  You will come to a question asking you if you had Obamacare, answer yes and then enter the amount you are allocating to yourself from the 1095-A for ONLY the months you were covered under that policy.  So if you were covered by the Marketplace from January-April, you will only have entries from the 1095-A in months January-April, the rest will be blank.  

After entering the 1095-A you will need to select that you shared the policy and then enter the information for your parents.  

Answering yes to "Did you have insurance all year" is the important part to not get the penalty.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies