ashley_09

What do I do if I get a 1095-A and a 1095-B?

I had health coverage from Jan. 2016 - May @016 with covered California. In June of 2016 I started paying for health coverage through covered California in order to receive Kaiser coverage.
Tonita

Here’s how to enter 1095-A Health Insurance Marketplace Statement in TurboTax:

1. Select the Health Insurance section of TurboTax.
  2. When asked if you had health insurance in 2016, select the option that applies to you, and Continue.
  3. When asked about being enrolled in any of these less common plans in 2016, select Yes.
  4. On the What type of plan were you enrolled in? screen, select Obamacare plan (1095-A), and then Continue.
  5. Follow the prompts to enter your 1095-A.

For more information, click the video below:

Form 1095-B, Health Coverage, is a form that reports to the IRS the type of health coverage you had, dependents covered by your insurance, and how many months you had coverage for in 2016. 

You don't need the form to file your tax return. TurboTax will ask you questions about your health coverage but your 1095-B isn't needed.  Just keep the form in your files.  If you've already filed and then receive the form, it's ok.  You don't need to amend your return. 

If the information on the form is not correct, contact the sender of the form (e.g. health insurance company, government program) to have a corrected form sent to you.  You don't need to wait for the corrected form to file your taxes. Go ahead and file. When you get the corrected form, keep it for your files.

Please view the video below for more information: