rcwcole

What do I do? I filed with TurboTax. I called about a concern, I was assured by the specialist I would be fine, now the IRS says I owe. What do I do?

The IRS has been sending out a lot of letters about the AOC. They want you to send them proof that you actually paid those education expenses.

Did you get an IRS letter ?  For which tax year ?  Is it a CP2000?

What tax year is the IRS notice you received indicating and what is the notice number?

Why does the IRS say you owe? Did they change your income?  Make a data entry error?
rcwcole

Yes, I recieved a letter from the IRS and it is a CP2000. The tax year is 2016. It says I owe  Education Credits  American Opportunity Credit. I also amended my taxes, which I have proof of but they are saying that they don't have that  as well.
rcwcole

&*

rcwcole

Okay, so if I send proof in I should be okay? And what about the Education  Credit?
mesquitebean

See if this answer by SuperUser Hal_Al in a similar thread is helpful:
<a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/4151045-the-irs-sent-me-a-letter-that-i-made-false-claims-on-educa...>
mesquitebean

You also wrote:  "I also amended my taxes, which I have proof of but they are saying that they don't have that  as well."

Did you print, sign, and mail the Form 1040X to the IRS?   What kind of proof are you referring to--a tracking receipt?
rcwcole

I had the printed  and signed form, unfortunatly  I  mailed it via regular, I did not think to get a tracking receipt or proof.
rcwcole

I can still access the forms because I amended using TurboTax, I just have no proof that I mailed it in, the amended amount is only $16.
mesquitebean

How long has it been since you mailed it?   Does it show up in this tool (only shows up after 3 weeks from mailing)?
<a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://www.irs.gov/filing/wheres-my-amended-return">https://www.irs.gov/filing/wheres-my-amended-re...>

NOTE:  That tool is down for maintenance this weekend, unfortunately.
rcwcole

I mailed it in Feb of last year. I amended immediately after I found out. I recieved my funds shortly after I found out I had to amend my taxes.

What was the reason for the amendment?