turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

truck1029

Brought Deluxe, after putting in W2's needed to put in income from LLC and it told me to get business. Home & Bus or Bus which do I get that allows both W2's & LLC info

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Brought Deluxe, after putting in W2's needed to put in income from LLC and it told me to get business. Home & Bus or Bus which do I get that allows both W2's & LLC info

Generally, an LLC must prepare a form 1120 tax return.  Part of this return is the creation of a K-1 form for each owner/shareholder.  The LLC return can't be prepared in personal Turbotax.  It can only be prepared using Turbotax for Business, which is only available as a download for PC (it is not online and not for Macs).  The K-1 can be entered in personal Turbotax Deluxe on the "Wages and Income" page.

If you have a single-member LLC, you have the option of treating it as a "disregarded entity". This means you report it as a personal self-employment business on schedule C instead of on a corporate return.  See here. https://www.irs.gov/businesses/small-businesses-self-employed/single-member-limited-liability-compan...

If you want to treat the LLC as a disregarded entity, you must upgrade to Turbotax Self-Employed version (online) or Turbotax Home & Business (installed on your own computer) so you can report your business income and deductions on schedule C.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Carl
Level 15

TurboTax Self-Employed in the online product. TurboTax Home & Business is the CD/Desktop product. The only difference between the two, is the spelling. (Literally!).
If your LLC is a single-member LLC, then you'll use one of the above mentioned products (depending if you're using online or desktop). If your business is anything else (S-Corp, C-Corp, multi-member LLC, etc) then you can NOT use any of the above products, and have to use TurboTax Business (different from Home & Business)

Generally, an LLC must prepare a form 1120 tax return.  Part of this return is the creation of a K-1 form for each owner/shareholder.  The LLC return can't be prepared in personal Turbotax.  It can only be prepared using Turbotax for Business, which is only available as a download for PC (it is not online and not for Macs).  The K-1 can be entered in personal Turbotax Deluxe on the "Wages and Income" page.

If you have a single-member LLC, you have the option of treating it as a "disregarded entity". This means you report it as a personal self-employment business on schedule C instead of on a corporate return.  See here. https://www.irs.gov/businesses/small-businesses-self-employed/single-member-limited-liability-compan...

If you want to treat the LLC as a disregarded entity, you must upgrade to Turbotax Self-Employed version (online) or Turbotax Home & Business (installed on your own computer) so you can report your business income and deductions on schedule C.

What Deluxe did you buy?  The Online version or the Desktop program?

If you need to do schedule C for a single member LLC (that's not a S Corp)  Deluxe might work.
The Desktop Deluxe program has all the same forms as the Home & Business version.  You just get more help in Home & Business.

For the Deluxe Online version you can enter schedule C income into it but if you have any expenses you will need to upgrade to the Self Employed Online version.

Or if you need to prepare a 1120 S or 1065 business return you need Turbo Tax Business.  And you will still need a personal version (online or Desktop) to do your 1040 W2 return.  So you would need 2 separate programs.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies