Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

What can I do if TurboTax keeps telling me my employer's state tax id is wrong, and it won't let me e-file?

It says it needs to be 14 characters, and it is.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

What can I do if TurboTax keeps telling me my employer's state tax id is wrong, and it won't let me e-file?

Sign in to TurboTax on a computer with the Chrome browser.  Clear all browsing data before signing in.  Delete the entire W-2 entry.  Then type the W-2 in again manually.  Do not try to download it.  That should remove the error and let you e-file.

idbygeorge wrote:
It says it needs to be 14 characters, and it is.

Since you mentioned "14 characters", I'll go out on a limb and assume you are a UTAH filer and that the error is in regard to the Employer state withholding ID number.  There is a known bug that many Utah filers have experienced in that regard.  The quirky solution is usually simple, but not intuitive.

The Employer state withholding ID number shown on your W-2 is ultimately reported on the Utah Form TC-40W.  A state withholding number can also be on a 1099, if applicable.   When entering the Employer/Payer state withholding ID number in TurboTax, it should be 14 characters that end with the letters wth.      The solution is to use lower case letters for the wth--not capital letters.    Also be sure to enter the 14 characters without any dashes/hyphens.

Note:  You must use the lower case wth on all W-2's and any 1099's that have a Utah state Employer/Payer withholding ID number.

Which state?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies