turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jackem18

I have a 1099-MISC form. I have added the infor on "Income from Form 1099-MISC and when I go to review, it tells me I need to add schedule C. I am not self employed

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
JulieR
Expert Alumni

I have a 1099-MISC form. I have added the infor on "Income from Form 1099-MISC and when I go to review, it tells me I need to add schedule C. I am not self employed

You do not have to file a Schedule C for this income.  1099-MISC box 3 income is generally reported on line 21 of your 1040 as other income. Generally speaking, self-employment income on form 1099-MISC is reported in Box 7. Go back to the 1099-Misc you entered and make sure the income is being reported in Box 3. Also, make sure you clicked "No it didn't involve work like my main job" and "No it did not involve an intent to earn money"

Please comment if you need additional information about this entry.

View solution in original post

5 Replies

What box is the amount in?  Why did you get it?
jackem18

It's in box 3 on the 1099-Misc form.  I received because I was on maternity leave last year and it was part of my Family medical leave. I didn't receive 100% compensation for my leave through my employer so FMLA kicked in and I was paid from that
JulieR
Expert Alumni

You do not have to file a Schedule C for this income.  1099-MISC box 3 income is generally reported on line 21 of your 1040 as other income. Generally speaking, self-employment income on form 1099-MISC is reported in Box 7. Go back to the 1099-Misc you entered and make sure the income is being reported in Box 3. Also, make sure you clicked "No it didn't involve work like my main job" and "No it did not involve an intent to earn money"

Please comment if you need additional information about this entry.

jackem18

Thank you !  That seemed to work!
JulieR
Expert Alumni

Great, glad to help.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies