turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

bledsands

Need to use Turbo Tax to file self employment taxes

All I get when I attempt to use is last year's info, it won't allow me to go forward with new forms, filing info, etc...
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

To prepare estimates for next year you start with your current return, but be careful not to change anything.  If you can't get back into your return, Try this, you can sign back onto your account, click the Visit My Tax Timeline and then under SOME THINGS YOU CAN DO, click on Add a State.  This should get you back into your return.

You can just type W4 in the search box at the top of your return , click on Find. Then Click on Jump To and it will take you to the estimated tax payments section. Say no to changing your W-4 and the next screen will start the estimated taxes section.

Or Go to….
Federal Taxes or Personal (H&B/Self Employed version)
Other Tax Situations
Other Tax Forms
Form W-4 and Estimated Taxes - Click the Start or Update button

To just estimate the remaining quarters put in that you paid $1 for the first and second quarters so it will only calculate the 3rd and 4th quarters.

Here are the blank Estimates and instructions…..
http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f1040es.pdf

The 1040ES quarterly estimates are due April 18, 2017, June 15, Sept 15 and Jan 16, 2018.  Your state will also have their own estimate forms.

Or you can pay directly on the IRS website https://www.irs.gov/payments
Be sure to pick the right kind of payment and year.....2017 Estimate

View solution in original post

7 Replies

To prepare estimates for next year you start with your current return, but be careful not to change anything.  If you can't get back into your return, Try this, you can sign back onto your account, click the Visit My Tax Timeline and then under SOME THINGS YOU CAN DO, click on Add a State.  This should get you back into your return.

You can just type W4 in the search box at the top of your return , click on Find. Then Click on Jump To and it will take you to the estimated tax payments section. Say no to changing your W-4 and the next screen will start the estimated taxes section.

Or Go to….
Federal Taxes or Personal (H&B/Self Employed version)
Other Tax Situations
Other Tax Forms
Form W-4 and Estimated Taxes - Click the Start or Update button

To just estimate the remaining quarters put in that you paid $1 for the first and second quarters so it will only calculate the 3rd and 4th quarters.

Here are the blank Estimates and instructions…..
http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f1040es.pdf

The 1040ES quarterly estimates are due April 18, 2017, June 15, Sept 15 and Jan 16, 2018.  Your state will also have their own estimate forms.

Or you can pay directly on the IRS website https://www.irs.gov/payments
Be sure to pick the right kind of payment and year.....2017 Estimate
bledsands

VERY helpful, thanks much!

You have to upgrade to TT self-employed.

bledsands

That's my point, TT won't let me, it send me back to last year's info, home page etc...
bledsands

*sends*

What are you trying to do?  Are you trying to amend a 2015 tax return or amend a 2016 tax return that has already been filed?  Or are you trying to start a new 2016 tax return?
**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
bledsands

I want to use TT to estimate and pay self-employment taxes for current tax year 2017.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies