turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

myrickan

Returned ACH payment. Will IRS' clearinghouse resubmit the debit?

I owed about $2,900 to the IRS. I set up the payment and filed on April 17, 2018. The bank returned the debit request for NSF even though my direct deposit was pending, like it has every one of the past 200+ weeks.

Will the IRS try to submit that debit ACH to my bank again? By IRS, I mean their clearinghouse since I read about their standard response to this question being that the decision to resubmit isn't up to the IRS, but its clearinghouse. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies

"direct deposit was pending, like it has every one of the past 200+ weeks."  It's been pending for almost almost 4 years???
DianeW
Expert Alumni

According to the IRS, until and unless you receive a Letter 608CDishonored Check Penalty, the only way to know if to keep checking your bank.

https://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc206

If you find that the payment doesn't come out with in a few days, you can call to check the status and/or choose to make the payment at the IRS payment center.  IRS Payment Options

• IRS Hours of Telephone Service:
    Monday through Friday, from 7:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m. local time (Alaska & Hawaii follow Pacific Time).  The best times to call during April are before 10:00 a.m. and after 7:00 p.m., and Monday is the heaviest traffic day. 
    (800) 829-1040

myrickan

What about prior years, for example 2016 returns that were in this same situation. Did the IRS resubmit the ACH request to your bank? Or is it that they only try once and then hit you with more fees?
DianeW
Expert Alumni

@myrickan We can only go with what they have on their website.  I'm sure that attempts are made more than once in most situations, however, the letter is the only indicator that attempts were not completed or paid. The law allows for a check to be resubmitted twice before notifying the person who wrote the check.  This indicates they can do the same thing with a debit authorization. Their site is vague as you can see.
ss2610

@myrickan Were you able to resolve this? I am in a similar situation and contacted IRS and got a vague answer. Is it worth waiting?
myrickan

I haven't heard anything either way. They have the payment though!
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies