turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

If during 2018 I was on O-1 visa working under OPT, what is my resident status?

This was part of my school's program for intl. students. It started in 2017, during that time I had my taxes filed via the school
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
LinaJ2018
Intuit Alumni

If you stay in the US on the O-visa for more than 183 days in 2018, you are a resident for tax purposes.

As an F-visa holder, you are a nonresident for five years 2013-2017 ( Although you change to O-visa in August, there are less than 183 days from August to December in 2017, therefore, you are still a nonresident in 2017)  Starting from January 1, 2018, if you stay more than 183days, you are a resident.  

If you do not stay more than 183 days in 2018, you could still be a resident if adding all your days in 2018 to the four months in 2017 equals or exceeds 183 days.   

Hope this helps. 

View solution in original post

6 Replies
LinaJ2018
Intuit Alumni

When did you first enter the US with the O-visa?  Were you on a F-visa before the O-visa?  

Yes, I was with F-1 Visa and did my OPT, then at July 2018 i entered with my O visa
LinaJ2018
Intuit Alumni

I see.  When did you first enter the US with the F-visa? So, did you go back home then come back with the O-visa in July?

Well first time was May 2013, I had it for five years. I entered the states last time with the F1 Visa on July 2017 (Sorry, corrected here). That was the last time. I got my O 1 visa and entered with the new status at the end of august. I filed for 2017 under F-1 status, and had to fill out a 1040NR
LinaJ2018
Intuit Alumni

Please see answer below.
LinaJ2018
Intuit Alumni

If you stay in the US on the O-visa for more than 183 days in 2018, you are a resident for tax purposes.

As an F-visa holder, you are a nonresident for five years 2013-2017 ( Although you change to O-visa in August, there are less than 183 days from August to December in 2017, therefore, you are still a nonresident in 2017)  Starting from January 1, 2018, if you stay more than 183days, you are a resident.  

If you do not stay more than 183 days in 2018, you could still be a resident if adding all your days in 2018 to the four months in 2017 equals or exceeds 183 days.   

Hope this helps. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies