turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

We sell avocados we farm every yr to a wholesaler. Prev. 3 years we lost money due to water costs, last year we profited. Do I file this income as farm or hobby income?

We receive no additional forms from the wholesaler, just the checks from them paying us for what avocados we sold them. We do not have a business name, we sell under our name and address (where the crop is located). We do all the work on the farm ourselves (harvesting, watering, upkeep).  For tax year 2018 (in question) we profited due to larger than usual crop,although this years crop for 2019 tax year is less and looking to be another loss after expenses.

Expenses we consider are watering costs and supplies (pipes for watering, fertilizer).  The farm is small but around 90 trees on 1.5 acres, so not just a few backyard trees.

The motive for the crop is always to make extra income, but the outcome is always dependent on other factors outside our control such as crop size, weather (causing the loss of crop due to wind or excessive heat).

Previous 3 tax years were filed under hobby income but with matching amount of expenses (since expenses cannot exceed income).

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
Ashby

We sell avocados we farm every yr to a wholesaler. Prev. 3 years we lost money due to water costs, last year we profited. Do I file this income as farm or hobby income?

This sounds to me like a for-profit farming operation which should be filed under Schedule F. That being said, I would have also filed the prior years under Schedule F. So, you have missed out on taking some losses. 

I think you need to file Schedule F and strongly consider amending your prior year returns, so you can take the losses.

If the intention is just tp have fun and not make money then it might be a hobby.

But you answered your own question: "The motive for the crop is always to make extra income" so it is a business not a hobby.
**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies