rmwies

We received a 1099-A from our bank after my husband received PCS orders to WA. Where do I input this form? How does the 982 form work?

You actually do not enter the 1099A into TurboTax.

If you do get a 1099C then it will have to be reported.  Keep the 1099A for your records as it has information on it, that be helpful should you get the 1099C in the future, and then yes a Form 982 will need to be prepared to exclude it (or some of it) from being taxable income. 

RVanGen20

I received a 1099-C, entered it into the tax return, was told that I could put in form 982 and 4681 but did not get any info as to when and how to input this information. How do I do this?

VictoriaD75

There is no Form 4681. That is the publication number related to the reporting of canceled debt.

IRS Publication 4681

Form 982 is created and attached to your return by entering the information from the 1099-C. 

To enter a 1099-C, follow these steps:

• Under the Federal menu, choose Wages & Income
  • Expand the menu for Less Common Income
  • Click Start/Revisit next to Miscellaneous Income, 1099-A, 1099-C
  • Click Start/Revisit next to Cancellation of debt (Form 1099-C) or the abandonment and/or acquisition of secured property (Form 1099-A)
  • Enter the information on the screens that follow

Ready to start your taxes?

Hand off your taxes, get expert help, or do it yourself.

See Pricing